20V Blacktop Project - Day 27
Got the O2 sensor straightened out. I had the old one from my 16V laying
around, which is actually a thread in type with it's own flange. So, unscrewed
the flange, grinded the 'ears' off of it. Drilled hole in the exhaust after
the downpipe and welded the flange piece on. Got a 4 wire generic Bosch,
and she just screwed right in.
Timing belt arrived from a club4ag member. So that was installed and I
was ready to fire her up for the first time. After oil & fuel pressure
were built up (and a fuel leak fixed), she started right up. But it wouldn't
idle on it's own. Ends up a piece of masking tape covered the ISC valve
inlet. Doh! Runs great. But, then when I take it for a spin I can't get
it into any gear unless the car is rolling.
Made sure clutch system was bled well. Then switched back to the forward
gear linkage stuff to make sure that wasn't causing any funky problems.
Anyway, none of that worked. So, that Saturday, friend came over to help
me drop the tranny. Hour & a half later realized I had put the clutch
disc in backwards. It was actually being pushed onto the flywheel bolts.
Luckily I had only driven a couple miles, so no real harm was done. Can't
believe I had done that, there were even tiny stickers on the disc saying
which side was which.
Needed to make a flange for the Apex'i filter to mount too. I just hacked
up a toilet flange after visiting Lowe's & HD. I also needed to relieve
the decklid latch bracket of some metal as it was hitting the filter-airbox
hose pretty good.
I got the interior back together, wires taped, etc. The trunk was cleaned
up, wires loomed and snaked behind the ECU. I should shorten the harnesses,
but I think procrastinating is more fun than actually doing work. Plus it's
neat and you can't see any of it with the carpet back on. The way I have
the ECU mounted, it sticks out slightly further than the carpet. So, I just
pulled the carpet off the cardboard support where the ECU is located, cut
that part of the carboard. Then just velcro'd the carpet to the ECU. It
works, and have easy access to the ECU (for whatever reasons I can't think
of) without having to mess with those pesky pushpins.
List of other teething problems I had once getting her to run:
- Short in the taillight/dash lights circuit. Ended up being an easy
one. Another mistake I made, when cleaning up the stereo wiring.
- Brake lights don't work. Forgot to connect the 2 connectors for the
brake switch when putting the dash back together. Man, those connectors
are tough to get to from underneath.
- Taillight relay idle up signal wired wrong. That I sorta knew about
but had forgot to change. Simple fix.
- Vent blower doesn't work. Haven't had a chance to fix this one yet.
Was working before I fixed the short. I prolly forgot to connect up a
Anyhow, once I had gotten the clutch thing figured out, I commenced putting
miles on it to break in the clutch before today's autox. I've been driving
it daily, getting great gas mileage, similar to the 16V. 25mpg about half
stop & go and high speed freeway cruising.
The car hesistates when first starts up, but when she's warm it's fine.
(The Acura does the same thing, so I don't believe I need to worry about
that.) There is a slight bog if I floor it that's prolly the gas I'm using
though (93 octane). I plan on trying out some 103 shortly. Dyno to come
soon after that, maybe a track run but the nearest 1/4 is like an hour away.
Here's a comparison pic of the new & old engine bays: