4AGE 20V Blacktop

transparent transparent

Diary of Swap
Cooling System


85/6 4AGE -> 4AGZE

transparent transparent



Air Intake Filter
Clutch Slave Cylinder
Clutch Master Cylinder
Coolant Flush
Distributor O-Rings
Exhaust Manifold
Fuel Filter
Fuel Pump Cut-off Switch
Ignition Timing
Oil Cooler Hoses
Oil Filter Adapter O-Rings
Oil Pan Gasket
Oxygen Sensor
Radiator Removal
Throttle Body Cleaning
TPS Adjustment
Water Pump


87+ Brake Upgrade
Caliper Rebuild-Front
Caliper Rebuild-Rear
Dust Shield Removal
Parking Brake Cable
SS Braided Brake Line


Ball Joint Replacement
Bushings Install - Front
Bushings Install - Rear
Steering Knuckle Removal
Struts/Springs - Front
Struts/Springs - Rear
Sway Bar End Links


87+ Antenna Replacement
Clear Turn Signals - Front
Clear Turn Signals - Rear
Door Hinges
Interior Door Triangles
Interior Headliner Painting
Interior Trim & Light Lens
Power Window Regulator
Rekeying Trunk Lock
Rust PM - Battery Bracket

Rust PM - Front Wheel Wells
Seats - MK3
Seats - Aftermarket
Shift Boot

SideMarker Mod

Sunroof Rattle
Wiper Switch


2006 Austin
2005 Austin
2005 Topeka NA2005
2004 Galveston
2004 Chattanooga SE2004
2003 Galveston
2002 Austin


Suspension Setup Pics
My MR2 Diary
Latest Pics of My MR2

20V Blacktop Project - Days 22-23

I'm at the point in the swap where there's a ton of little things to do. Here's what I got done a couple evenings this week and this weekend.

Ran the power wire from the battery in the frunk to the engine bay. I used one of the 2 firewall holes from the AC evaporator. It was wrapped in loom and tape on the possible "rubbing" areas.

The dash was put back together. That took forever. So many screws...

New Speedsource SS clutch line:

87-89 tail lights were installed. This wasn't as straight a bolt-on as what I thought. Had to drill a few more holes.

ECU mounted on the left side of the trunk. Made brackets using 1" aluminum stock:


Main coolant lines fabricated. Found a source locally for 6061 1-1/4" tubing. $2.85/ft and had to buy a 12ft piece.

The 'hot' line (engine to radiator) was easy. A short piece of pipe and then 2 of the stock hoses.


Since the other line needs the radiator cap inline, it took some more thinking. I ended up going all the way over the the drivers side and circling around to the thermostat housing. Sucks because there's lots of potentials for leaks. Hopefully I won't have any problems. I need to go get some more clamps. Also still need to attach the rad cap to the firewall and mount the overflow tank. I think I'll go buy a new one, that should hopefully have an easier way of mounting than the stock one:


I also mounted the ignitor/coil to the driver's side strut tower. Fortunately, the 2 stock welded-nut locations there were perfect for the 20v ignitor/coil bracket. I tapped a third hole in the strut tower. A little bending of the bracket and everything bolted right up. It is slanted a little, but so what it'll work!

Ran the plug wires. I dremel'd out the lil plastic guide things a tad so that the Magnecors would fit:

And you could also see that I ran the engine harness and connected everything up. I'm not going to cover it all up until I get her running. Knowing my luck if I taped it up, I'd have to undo it all a couple weeks from now.

Home   •   Links  •   Email
(remove NOSPAM from resulting email address)
Thanks for Visiting! - Eric Southers

Disclaimer: This web page in no way replaces the MR2 repair manual. Follow what it says before me. The purpose of this page is to give you a better pictorial description of what to do. I cannot be held responsible for any mishaps caused by this web page.