85/6 4AGE -> 4AGZE
4AGE 20V Blacktop Engine Swap Project Diary
This page documents the swap of a 4AGE 20V 'Blacktop'
engine from a '97 Toyota Sprinter Trueno BZ-G into my '85 MR2.
I will try to provide as much info as possible to help anyone
who is contemplating doing this swap.
Diary of the Swap
- Intro - The
story of how I obtained it & pics of the half cut before starting
- Day 1 (10/14/02)
- Removed fenders & hood
- Day 2 (10/15/02)
- Removed dashboard & steering wheel
- Day 3 (10/16/02)
- Removed radiator, lights, & intake
- Day 4 (10/17/02)
- Removed PS pump and AC compressor
- Day 5 (10/19/02)
- Removed wiring harneses & engine ready to be pulled
- Day 6
(10/21/02) - Just a few pics of the engine before it was pulled
- Day 7 (10/23/02)
- Pulled engine from clip
- Day 8 (10/24/02) - Continued stripping what
was left on the chassis (ABS system, steering rack, etc). Labeled
all connectors on body & engine harnesses. Pics of all connectors
to come another day.
- Day 9 (10/25/02) - Finished stripping chassis
of calipers & sway bar. Left strut assemblies in tact so that
I can roll the half cut around by its wheels. Chassis is ready
for the junkyard.
- (10/26/02-11/06/02)- Have just done a few random
things the past few days. Got rid of chassis, messed around with
body & engine harness & put together their web pages linked
below. Replacement Magnecor spark plug wires were found to fit.
Removed injectors and will send them out to be cleaned & flow
- (11/07/02-11/23/02)- More wiring stuff.
- Day 10 (11/24/02)-
Removed downpipe flange & crank pulley. Magnecors received,
injectors shipped. Update: Injector report.
- Day 11-12
(12/6-7/02)- Dropped 16V engine from the MR2
- Day 13 (12/15/02)
- Started the C56 tranny conversion to work with the MR2 shift
- Day 14-15 (12/30/02) - Started cleaning &
painting parts of the engine
- Day 16 (1/9/03)
- Battery tray removed, clutch slave cylinder rebuilt
- Day 17 (1/18/03)
- C56 tranny adapter piece fabbed
- Day 18 (1/19/03)
- MR2 interior stripped to expose wire loom, ELS# wires tapped,
- Day 19 (2/1/03)
- Engine harness update, tranny parts reassembled, engine bay
painted, shifter bushings installed
- Day 20 (2/8/03) - Just some clean up and attempt
to mount flywheel/clutch. Find out I had ordered the wrong set!
doh! That delays things a couple weeks.
- Day 21 (2/21/03)
- Proper clutch/flywheel installed, ARP flywheel bolts, 20V engine
mounted into MR2, clutch & shifter linkage hooked up.
- Day 22 (3/12/03)
- Parents visited for a week. So that's the reason for the most
recent delay. Interior put back together. Interior wiring looms
laid in place. Positive battery cable routed from front trunk
to the engine bay.
- Day 23 (3/15/03)
- Speedsource SS clutch line installed, coolant system lines routed,
87+ taillights installed, ECU mounted in trunk, ignitor/coil mounted,
engine harness connected, spark plug wires connected
- Day 24-25 (3/27-28/03)
- Coolant system finished, AFR gauge mounted, Battery mounted
in front trunk, throttle cable extended & new bracket fabbed,
fuel line extended
- Day 26 (3/29/03)
- Exhaust system fabricated
- Day 27 (3/31/03-4/5/03)
- Timing belt arrived, O2 sensor flange mounted, car started for
first time, transmission dropped to fix clutch problem, Project
20V Engine Harness Connectors
- Pics of all connectors on the engine harness taken from the 20V
clip. (Still not complete, maybe one of these days it will be)
20V Body Harness Connectors
- Pics of all connectors on the body harness taken
from the 20V clip. (Still not complete, maybe one of these days
it will be)
Links to other 20V Swaps
Bradshaw - not a swap into an MR2, but still
- [Update 6/2014] These pages no longer exist. They now link to web.archive.org, but unsure if you can find anything useful there.